I sincerely hope somebody can prove me wrong.
I've come to a depressing conclusion. Every time I get a promotion, my chances of getting a marriage proposal diminishes. It's a universal truth; you simply cannot have it all.
Earlier on in my career, a promotion was a sign of achievement and progress. It meant that a leader recognized similar traits in me and expected me to take on bigger responsibilities. This entailed a fair share of celebration and sweets were in order.
But the last couple of promotions I received were pushed under the carpet. My mother didn't want me to make a big fuss about it.
Why? Because potential husbands and their mother don't want smart girls, those who spend more time meeting businessmen in boardrooms instead of entertaining idle women at home.
Does my promotion come with a big fat sign that says "not interested" ?
It's sad how society forgets that the skill set I learn on the job can help me tackle issues personally as well. Where else do you learn how to deal with people and finances and time management- issues that, in all likelihood, prepare me for the realities of marriage and in-laws?
I'm single and, for the time being, have "single" priorities. When the time comes, I'll be smart and make the right choices, but for now, don't dismiss me for being the best I can with the life I have.
No comments:
Post a Comment