When I was at university, I really looked forward to working. Not only because of the financial independence, but –in theory- the hours you spend at work can be clocked; you know you will be spending X hours at the office, working, and you know you’ll be spending X hours outside the office, doing whatever suits your fancy.
As a student, you clocked your classes and that was pretty much it. Everything else wasn’t so tangible, like projects and extra curriculum activities. In your head, these things took time, and because you don’t clock these you assumed the time taken was out of your free time.
I had major plans for when I started working, because then I wouldn't have to worry about going home and following up on school. Leaving the office carefree at 5 pm meant blocks of time to do stuff. I can finally dedicate some time to doing what everybody is trying to do, mainly exercising and finding a hobby of sorts to make me feel special. But reality was far from this; I assumed that when you left work, you physically left it behind, and that it wouldn’t follow you home like some stray cat who wants to get cozy with your shins.
I’m back to unclocked time, only this time it’s biting into my 11th hour.
I have learnt to become better organized and juggle the balancing act, but at the expense of "me time". I remember me times on my university schedule, it took the shape of movies, coffees, and daylight. I just didn't know it at the time.
Youth really is wasted on the young.
No comments:
Post a Comment